Birmingham Traffic Lawyer
The potential penalties for breaking one of the many traffic laws in Birmingham can range from the minor to the severe. Rather than paying a hefty fine or having your right to drive put into jeopardy, it is beneficial to work with a Birmingham traffic lawyer who can stand up for you in court. It is easy to dismiss a charge for breaking a traffic law as inconsequential, but the charge is often more complicated than defendants expect. Furthermore, the accumulation of multiple minor charges can result in the loss of a driver’s license. In any circumstance, working with a Birmingham defense lawyer is a reliable way to avoid harsh, long-term penalties.
Common Traffic Violations
Even in instances that resulted in no accident or injury, the penalty for breaking Alabama traffic laws can be punitive, and require the assistance of a Birmingham traffic lawyer. The most common traffic violations in Birmingham include:
- Speeding: It is possible to be issued a speeding ticket for going just a few miles over the posted limit. The penalties for speeding grow exponentially depending on how far over the limit the driver was going and the location where the speeding occurred. Speeding in a school or work zone can result in particularly harsh penalties.
- Running a Stop Sign or Red Light: The definition of “running” is flexible. A driver can be issued a ticket if they drive through a yellow light that changes to red while the car is in the middle of the intersection, or if the driver fails to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Determining if and when a lane change is unsafe is largely up to the officer who observes it. Drivers who feel confident in their abilities can be charged for what the law perceives as aggressive driving.
- Reckless Driving: This is another charge with a flexible definition. If the driving is deemed to be especially reckless, it can result in financial penalties and the suspension of a license unless drivers hire a Birmingham traffic attorney to fight for their rights.
- Following too Closely: Tailgating can easily lead to a serious accident, especially if the road is wet or icy. It takes just seconds for a safe distance to shrink to an unsafe distance.
- Violation of Railroad Rules: An accident on railroad tracks can have catastrophic consequences for everyone in the car and everyone on the train. Drivers must abide by all posted rules or face a swift reaction from the law.
- Driving in the Wrong Direction: This charge can be applied even if a driver accidentally goes the wrong way down an empty one-way street.
- Failing to Yield: Drivers are required to yield to pedestrians and school buses. There is a fair amount of gray area involved with “yielding” meaning that drivers can be ticketed for driving that seemed perfectly permissible.
- DUI: Alabama law takes this charge very seriously, and the consequences for drivers can be sweeping. It is always advisable to work with a Birmingham traffic lawyer following a DUI charge.
Benefits of an Attorney
If you have been issued a traffic ticket, it is pertinent that you seek out an experienced Birmingham traffic attorney before you do anything else. An attorney can show you what is at stake, and protect your rights in such a case.